In a professional context most research projects are collaborative efforts with grant budgets or allowances that include provisions for the statistical and data analysis component. Other technical consultants such as informaticians are also included where required. Due to the highly technical nature and increasing complexity of statistical and big data analysis in clinical and life sciences research employing assistance for the statistical component is increasingly necessary in both an academic and commercial context.
Undertaking a research degree is a great introduction to the implementation of professional research methods as well as data handling and statistical approaches. Collaboration with a biostatistician for your postgraduate research dissertation will provide clarity and put you in good stead for carrying out high quality research which applied rigorous quality control standards post dissertation.
Employing the advice of a biostatistician with many years technical experience is both ethical and advisable as it will allow you to concentrate expertise on the clinical or scientific knowledge component of your research while being confident in your analytic procedures and results. By delegating or sharing the data analytics component you can focus your efforts on gaining a deeper more nuanced knowledge of the subject area around which your research is based.
Dissertations are commonly not accepted by reviewers when the incorrect statistical methods or study design have been employed. This can result in significant delays in completion and finalisation of your project. More unfortunate than this is the case where a suboptimal study design or incorrect statistical procedure falls through the cracks and is published, joining the body of published research which then informs future research methodology of those in the field. This can put the research processes of future studies at a considerable disadvantage and degrade the quality of their conclusions. As such, we’d like to help your get it right first time and in the shortest time possible.
Biostatistics Help for Clinical & Life Sciences PhD & Post-Doctoral Dissertations
- Improve your knowledge of research statistics to a professional standard that is specialised to your field of research, enabling you to carry out future research with greater confidence and efficiency.
- Greater understanding of different statistical methods and the rationale behind selecting them, for the benefit of your own research and for enhanced comprehension of the published research of others.
- Save time and reduce stress knowing that you have chosen the most appropriate methodology first time.
- Know that you have interpreted the results of statistical analyses correctly and can confidently discuss them with others.
How We Can Assist
An applied biostatistician can assist with various aspects of your dissertation project in clinical or life sciences.
- Clarifying topics, research questions and hypotheses for statistical testing
- Guidance with initial study design and planning
- Power and sample size calculations that will allow you to allocate resources effectively
- Randomisation schedules to ensure you have adequately minimised bias and done so as effectively as possible given the parameters of your research
- Data collection and data management techniques
- Statistical analysis plan (SAP) with justification of the selected statistical methodology
- Data preparation and cleaning
- Statistical analyses using the relevant software including full statistical assumption checking and model fitting where relevant. We can guide you through the analysis, perform it autonomously or check any analyses already performed.
- Data visualisation with graphs, tables and diagrams.
- Write-up and interpretation of results.
See our Biostatistics Consulting page for a more detailed overview of the types of statistical analyses we commonly assist with. These approaches encompass areas of clinical survey design, hosting support and analysis; epidemiological prediction for public health; and hypothesis testing for clinical sciences such as medicine, nursing, psychology and dentistry, and life sciences such as neuroscience.
We can use one or more of a number of statistical software programs as per your preference and individual project requirements. Bioinformatics services are also available for dissertations where genomics, proteomics and transcriptomics analyses are required or may be beneficial.
Contact us today for a free quote.
How Does it Work?
- The initial consultation with us is free. You will be assigned an available biostatistician and/or bioinformatician with particular experience in your field of research who can adequately assist you in attaining your dissertation goals.
- Depending on the stage that your dissertation has progressed to at the time your contact us, we can assist in either a review or design capacity in terms of the methodology, statistical analysis and interpretation. We will review your goals and work so far before devising a plan to best assist your progress.
- Once we have completed any deliverable we will send them through for your approval. A full explanation will be given of any output.
- Changes and refinements will be made if required. Once our contribution has been finalised and understood, all output and programming syntax will be provided along with publication quality reports and figures.